Ioane warrant adds to Wallabies’ troubles

Digby Ioane

Wallabies winger Digby Ioane failed to appear in a Melbourne court on Monday to face an assault charge.

Ioane was scheduled to face Melbourne Magistrates Court to face an assault charge arising from an incident at a hotel in Prahran, in the city’s south-east, last March.

But the Australian Rugby Union says his failure to appear was a misunderstanding.

“ARU was only made aware late this afternoon of the issue involving Digby Ioane,” it said in a statement.

“Since being made aware through media reports, ARU has worked expeditiously with Digby Ioane and Victorian Police to attend to this matter.

“Digby will report to Victorian Police and will be issued with a revised court date.”

News Limited reported on Monday afternoon that a warrant had been issued for Ioane’s arrest.

He watched from the sidelines as the Wallabies trained at the Carlton AFL club’s training base on Monday afternoon ahead of Saturday’s second Test against the British and Irish Lions.

Ioane was later ruled out of Australia’s side to take on the Lions at Docklands on Saturday night due to a shoulder injury.

The ARU said he had suffered internal damage last weekend in Brisbane and would require follow-up scans and possibly surgery.

Fullback Berrick Barnes (concussion) will also miss Saturday’s Test in Melbourne but will be considered for the Sydney fixture in a fortnight.

In more positive injury news, medical staff are confident centre Adam Ashley-Cooper (shoulder) and Christian Lealiifano (head knock) will be available for the second Test.

-abc/ap