Smoke causes thousands to be evacuated
Over 1000 workers housed at Downtown Boulevard in Suva were evacuated this morning after heavy smoke was seen bellowing out of the building, located on Ellery Street in the heart of the capital.
Quick response from a person who arrived early in the morning triggered the alarm and the National Fire Authority were at the scene a few moments later.
All occupants were evacuated safely. After preliminary inspections the National Fire Authority (NFA) told local media that they believe the smoke was from a fire that started from one of the kitchens in food court on the first floor, and had spread into an exhaust vent making its way up to the top of the building.
Firefighters found all electrical wire around the vent had melted in the four stories of the building and they are working with the Fiji Electricity Authority to identify and repair the effected wiring.
The NFA has ordered the closure of Plaza Two of Downtown Boulevard until further notice.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.